A bit of all sorts of crafting this past couple of weeks.
I never got around to writing my usual blog post last week. A few days of visiting friends and family meant my usual blog writing time passed me by, so I thought I would save my blogging until this week. As well as going around visiting, I eventually went to an optician to get my eyesight checked after having several months of blurriness. After that trip I am now officially short sighted.
What’s a bit unnerving is that just over a year ago, my eyesight was perfect. I could see clearly for such long distances yet now I struggle to read the numbers on Countdown if I’m at the opposite end of the room to the TV. We could all probably get along reasonably well if we lost our sight of smell or hearing, yet if we lost our sense of sight, our worlds would be turned upside down. Crafting would go out the window. Even things like reading this blog would not be possible. It does make you think about what’s really important.
Anyway, onto the crafting part of the blog. Thank you to everyone who commented last time on what colour to choose for my new soy candles. There would several extra suggestions too that gave me food for thought. I would never have though about a red and brown colour combination for the other ingredients in strudel, although several of your comments left me feeling a bit hungry
Combining red and green got a few votes and this pairing of colours does look very good together. However since they are quite festive colours I tend to leave that colour choice for my Christmas candles. Since the other scented candles have only one colour, I continued that theme with the strudel candles and went with a red colour for the wax chunks.
The red and brown suggestion is still playing in my mind. If I do try that, I’ll make my other scented tealight candles have a pair of colours too. That’s one of the good things about making things yourself. You can change your mind at any time and try something new.
A set of four placemats made with stripey and spotty fabrics is a current work in progress. Two placemats will be white, blue and green, while the other two will be white, red and orange. The backs are made from one piece of fabric with a piece of wadding some decorative quilting. The fronts will be a patchwork of nine squares of fabric.
I have stitched the front panels together then stitched the fronts to the backs. I don’t have any photos of this as the end result was not great. The two layers did move around a bit, as the complete piece was a bit thick with the wadding inside. I think it’s time for me to invest in a walking foot.
I had a slightly easier time making a new blind for my Velux window. After my old one broke I checked the prices of a replacement online. The cheapest I could find was almost £40 and that was only in one colour! Other colours were much more expensive, especially if you went to Velux’s own website. I then found a comment posted by someone on the MoneySavingExpert forum about how they made their own version of a blind. With the fabric and ribbon I’ve got, I thought I would give it a go too.
Even though I had measured the window and fabric many times, once I had the blind made and hung up, it ended up being about an inch too long so it sags slightly. I can live with it though, although the pattern on the fabric goes fuzzy if you look at it from certain angle. I think it’s an optical illusion that makes it seem a bit distant. Either that or I really need glasses.
Hope everyone has a good week